After a spate of recent successes, including a world title, brothers Ross (17), Johnny (15), Jake (13) and Toby (10) are reflecting on their best season so far – and it’s not over yet.
The brothers, from Thursley, near Haslemere in Surrey, learnt the basics of sailing at their home club, Frensham Pond, and are now honing their skills in national and international competitions.
Their latest successes include:
• Jake became world champion in the RS Tera Sport class, sailing to victory at the World Championships at Carnac, Brittany. Earlier, he was second in the Inland Championships at Rutland Water.
• National 420 class champions Ross Thompson and Alex Smallwood have been selected for the RYA’s British Youth Sailing Team for the Youth World Championships in Sanya, China, in December.
• Ross and Alex took eighth place in the 420 Open European Championships in Greece, and 24th place in the 420 Junior European Championships in Italy.
• Ross, sailing with Niamh Harper, took first place in the 420 National Championships at Helensburgh. In the same event Johnny Thompson and Calum Cook took 12th place.
• In the 420 class at the Sailingfast Scottish Open Championships at Helensburgh, Johnny and Calum took third place (and first under-17 crew).
MPI is keen supporter of sailing, and provides travel insurance specially tailored for people who sail for sport or pleasure.
In addition to sponsoring Team Thompson Sailing, MPI also sponsors youth events such as Schools Week at Itchenor Sailing Club and Junior Week at Bosham Sailing Club.