1. Get your travel insurance from a specialist provider; don’t just choose the cheapest – and read the policy wording carefully before you buy.
2. You can buy travel insurance at any time before your trip – but it’s recommended you buy as soon as you book your trip, so you are covered if you have to cancel. Also, do make sure that the sum insured under the cancellation section is sufficient to cover your flight, accommodation and other costs.
3. If you are unsure about the sports and activities you may participate in during your trip, insure for the highest level of activity you might choose.
4. Emergency medical and repatriation costs can mount up: don’t travel without adequate insurance cover – especially for skiing, other sporting trips and when working or volunteering overseas.
5. Policies differ, so make sure to check the policy if you have any pre-existing medical conditions. Some policies exclude such conditions, some may include, or may include them for an additional premium. Some may void the policy altogether if the insurance provider is not informed beforehand.
6. Travel insurance does not always cover personal effects, so if you want to safeguard your valuables ensure you get a policy that does cover them.
7. Check that your travel insurance includes personal liability, which should not exclude claims made by a travelling companion – many do. Plus, if you are leading a party of travellers, you can be held responsible for damage your friends cause – be sure you are covered!
8. There is usually a range of options you can choose when purchasing travel insurance, which can increase or decrease the regular cover and premium,
9. Carry a copy of your travel insurance papers with you in case of emergency; leave another set at home, or with a relative, in case you are incapacitated.
10. Always heed safety advice: you may jeopardise your insurance if you put yourself in danger: know your limits – and your insurance limits.
If you require any help or information regarding your choice of policy, a claim or any aspect if our products or services and you can't immediately find an answer here on our website or in our FAQ, then please feel free to contact us using this form.